Political and Operations Senior Manager
Reports To: Katie Fahey, Executive Director of The People
FLSA Status: Exempt
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting any nonprofit, administrative and public policy/campaign experience to firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Organization: The People is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, focused on supporting nonpartisan, citizen-led reform efforts that seek to secure greater government responsiveness and accountability to the people. The People’s core activities include:
- Developing best practice tools, training, and advice for citizens who seek to undertake reform initiatives
- Creating an on-line hub where volunteers can tap into existing initiatives or create new ones, do their work together, and find the tools and information they need
- Sponsoring forums for citizens from across the political spectrum to listen to each other, learn together, and find common ground on policy reforms
- Providing consulting support to campaign managers to ensure authentic and sustaining citizen engagement
- Building a national narrative and profile and a strong coalition of partner organizations and citizen leaders
The People embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Role: The Political and Operations Senior Manager will perform two vital roles in the growth and success of The People and will work closely with and report directly to the Executive Director.
The role entails the following key responsibilities:
- Leading the development of the policy strategy of the organization
- Overseeing our political and campaign-related programs and collaborating with staff to effectively execute on these programs
- Assist in identifying, evaluating, and getting engaged in new campaign opportunities, including securing necessary funding / fees for The People as appropriate
- Managing our campaign playbook and coalition development
- Keeping up to date on relevant news, literature, and legislative processes related to good governance reform policy
- Ensuring our state level and national campaign/political/organizing activities are in compliance with all applicable laws
The operational role entails the following key responsibilities:
- Assisting in providing management oversight across The People’s major programs and projects to help support and ensure steady progress on key priorities and goals
- Assisting in recruiting and keeping volunteers engaged and at the center of our work
- Developing effective ways to measure impact and success and helping to communicate progress to key constituencies (e.g., Board, funders, partners, volunteers, etc)
- Identifying and implementing improvements to the organization’s management processes to support growth
- Creating procedures for clearly tracking and accounting for 501c(3) versus 501c(4) activities and funding
The People is a completely remote team, so the Political and Operations Senior Manager must be a driven self-starter, able to work successfully with minimal virtual oversight. The ideal candidate should have excellent oral and written communication skills, and familiarity with G-Suite and Trello is a plus. The remote nature of the organization also means the Political and Operations Senior Manager must be flexible in adjusting and developing new policies and procedures based on best practices and the needs of the team, as well as the ability to travel occasionally for meetings and events (provided it is safe to do so). The People is a nonpartisan organization, and as such is looking for candidates who are able to work directly and respectfully with people from all points of the political spectrum without bias. Benefits include paid vacation, health insurance, and a 401K program.
- Collaborative leadership approach
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to read and understand legalese
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills in multiple formats (email, phone, text, social media)
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate teams and work effectively in a collaborative team environment in both a managerial and support role
- Strong working knowledge of federal, state, and municipal legislative processes
|Oral Communication Skills||Professionalism||Research|
|Written Communication Skills||Diplomacy||Time Management|
|Relationship Management||Attention to Detail||Planning|
|Computer Literacy||Project Management||Organizational Ability|
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 3 years and/or 2 election cycles of campaign experience (nonpartisan political reform campaign experience a plus)
- Minimum of 2 years operations/management experience
- Experience in developing strategic and/or campaign plans recommended
Physical Demands: The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Working Schedule: This is a full-time (40 hrs/week) salaried position with a flexible schedule (working hours are based in the eastern time zone to include 8:30 am daily calls).
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Google Gmail, Docs, Slides, and Sheets; Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, Word, and Powerpoint. Other systems: knowledge of Social Media posting, NeonCRM, Salesforce or other similar customer relationship management software is desirable. Squarespace or other web software experience would also be desirable.
Travel: This job will potentially require the need to travel up to 5 times a year to participate in team planning meetings as well as an annual assembly with our volunteers (provided it is safe to do so). This could be increased depending on projects in any given calendar year.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter highlighting any nonprofit, administrative and program support experience to email@example.com.