Job Title: Field Director
Reports To: Executive Director
Contract Dates: Through 2020 (with the possibility of extension)
About the Organization:
The People is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, focused on bringing Americans together to find common ground around nonpartisan policy reforms. The People embraces diversity and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer.
About the Role:
Field Director is a senior staff position that reports directly to the Executive Director. The position is responsible for the design and implementation of The People’s field program. This includes working within the organization’s three strategic approaches: 1. Facilitate a process that builds, trains, and supports statewide networks of volunteers who are empowered to lead state-level programs 2. Working with existing political reform campaigns to develop best practices in the field and in building coalitions. 3. Working with local / state-level campaigns to design a pathway to success. In addition to directing The People’s field program the Field Director also provides professional and political mentorship to staff.
The People is a completely virtual team, so the Field Director needs to be a driven self-starter, able to work successfully with minimal oversight. The ideal candidate should have excellent oral and written communication skills, with proficiency in G-Suite and MS Office. Familiarity with Asana, NeonCRM, or similar applications, is a plus. The Field Director must be flexible to adjust and develop new policies and procedures based on best practices and the needs of the team, as well as the willingness to travel occasionally for meetings and events. The People is a strictly nonpartisan organization, and as such it is essential that candidates are able to work directly and respectfully with individuals from all points of the political spectrum without bias. This is a position that is contract at the start, with the potential for extension in 2021.
- Design field program strategy and implementation in coordination with state-level leadership and Executive Director oversight
- Conceptualize and construct plans for field operations including field budgets, work plans, and overall timelines
- Manage and coach team of state leaders / organizers to develop a volunteer network
- Build and maintain relationships with coalition and local leaders; liaison with various organizational partners and campaigns
- Train and develop volunteer leaders
- Develop organizing and political strategy to assist in setting overall program priorities and design
- Other responsibilities as needed
- Collaborative leadership approach
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Digital organizing
- Attention to detail
- Strong communication skills in multiple formats (email, phone, text, social media)
- Demonstrated ability to build and motivate teams and work effectively in a collaborative team environment in both a managerial and support role
- Strong working knowledge of federal, state, and municipal legislative processes
- Bilingual (Spanish) a plus
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 4 years and/or 2 election cycles of campaign experience coordinating all aspects of a campaign (nonpartisan political reform campaign experience a plus)
- Field program design and execution (i.e. running canvassing / phone banks, event planning, volunteer management, etc.)
- Volunteer engagement program experience
Performing the duties of this job include extended computer use while sitting or standing depending on the needs of the employee and their respective home office structure. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the position’s essential functions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have, or will be expected to develop, proficiency with Google Gmail, Docs, Slides, and Sheets. A working knowledge of NeonCRM or other similar customer relationship management software, as well as Asana or other similar project management software, is desirable. Experience with WordPress or other website creation software is a plus.
Dependent on current travel bans in effect through the pandemic, the job will require travel up to 5 times per year, if physically able, to participate in team planning meetings as well as an annual assembly with our volunteers, and possible travel to states with active campaigns.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Please submit a resume/CV and cover letter highlighting past campaign experience and any nonprofit experience to firstname.lastname@example.org